Monday 23 March 2015

Engraving stocks


Checkering the stock.
The old Gamo cf20 stock came out quite well with a bit of walnut oil. Wax polish to finish it.
Now comes the scary bit. I have never worked on a stock in this way so it's a steep learning curve. Usually it's the functional parts to fix on the guns rather than the aesthetics (and I am not an artist) so this is all new to me and I plan to learn as I go along.

I think the borders may be a bit too thick but I seem to be following the master lines ok and have only had a couple of over-runs. I think I can clean this up after I'm done. More to follow as I go on, but so far not bad for my first attempt and remember that this is just an old air rifle that we are making good enough for someone to play with in their garden and not an expensive one.

There's really good (lengthy) tutorial on youtube by Midway USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lbK3us_JCY
Mine is going to be nowhere near as good as this (and this beech stock is not the greatest)... but we all have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment